Thursday, June 23, 2005

The Notebook

The Notebook, a romantic story adapted from the best-selling novel by Nicholas Sparks, stars Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams, and directed by Nick Cassavetes. The story begins with an old man by the name of Duke, reading a story from a notebook to an old woman in a nursing home. The story that he told was of a couple who met during the summer of 1940. Noah, a local country boy of Seabrook, met Allie who was spending her holiday with her parents in their summer home. Their relationship blossomed until they were separated by Allie’s upper-class parents who insisted that Noah was not right for her. Years went by and now Allie is engaged to Lon, who owns a cotton field. When she was trying on her wedding dress, Allie stumbled upon Noah’s picture on the newspaper and felt that she had to go back to see him. Her trip back to Seabrook rekindled their passion for each other. Now Allie has to choose who she really wants to be with for the rest of her life.

This is a story Ge would love to watch. Actually she wanted to watch it in the cinema when it was released here late last year (or was it early this year?) but I wasn’t really interested so… I wasn’t really keen to watch the movie as well when I borrowed the dvd. The reason I reserved this dvd is because it’s a new movie. I had the dvd for one week before I actually insert it into the dvd player. I’m glad that I watched it before I need to return it tomorrow. It’s really touching. Well, what the hell, I’ll finish the story here.

The old man, Duke, is actually Noah and he was reading the story to his wife, Allie who is suffering from Alzheimer. So yeah, they ended up together. In the early stages of her disease she wrote the story in a notebook of how she met Noah and how their love developed. She handed the notebook to Noah and asked him to read it to her everyday when her memory is gone. She promised that she would come back to him, which she did, the last time for about five minutes. After that she just couldn’t remember anything. It’s really sad.

Now about me. Woke up this morning, had breakfast while watching Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason on dvd. Actually I've watched it in the cinema for free the last time I went back to KL. I borrowed the dvd for Eddie and I can also watch the special features. Watched Oprah on the tv after that. It was about how women dress can make them look younger. Cool.

Had two slices of white bread with butter and sugar for lunch. Sooo NOT healthy. I'm trying to stay away from white bread and have more of wholegrain if they sell here. I've only seen and ate multigrain. Wonder if they're the same. Well, for those of you who don't know, white bread is rated the lowest in health amongst the breads. Wholemeal bread is slightly better, but not as good as wholegrain. By the way, I saw this on Oprah. Don't ask me what the goodness are in wholegrain as I have forgotten them. But I know they're the best bread to eat, health-wise.

Eddie came back and I made a couple of calls to Telstra regarding the Internet connections. Their plans on dial-up are not very good. The unlimited dial-up plan costs almost like the cheapest broadband plan. And now they're giving free installation on broadband which will save me $129. And also I pay only half-price for the first 6 months if I sign contract with them for 2 years. Eddie kinda like the promotion but I don't like to be in contract for that long. If it's 1 year then I'll sign up. Optus broadband is like giving 3 months of free access each year if we have our house phone with them as well. And they're giving free installation now. The thing that stops me from going to Optus is that I've recently switched back to Telstra as they're giving me a free phone and 50 free sms every month for 1 year. Their condition for the free stuff is that I have to stay with them for 1 year. So that's not too bad. I thought of using broadband after that. But now they have this free installation thing...it's hard to decide.

So anyway, I followed Eddie out when he was going back to work and he dropped me at the library. I got Lemony Snickets: A Series of Unfortunate Events. Will watch it sometime this week. After that went to buy a few stuffs from the market and then head on to the uni library to use the Internet. Just now I was still struggling to find the battery that I found the first time in the Crimson Room (it's an IQ quiz on the Internet). Now I've given up and waiting for my sister's reply to tell me where the battery is.

But I'm leaving in 15 minutes and if she hasn't reply by then, which I think she won't because it's like 2:00 or 3:00 am over there now. Oh darn! Now I have to wait for the next time I use the Internet, which should be next week, to find out the answers.

12 Comments:

At 6:43 am, Blogger wHOisBaBy said...

choy! back in KL, you complaint about the Gardenia Wholewheat which JY and I like. But then you said you don't eat that kind and only eat WHITE. And now you say you like it! Darn!

Wholegrain and wholewheat has higher fiber contain (you know what this is good for rite?). Wholegrain has higher fiber than wholewheat. Wholegrain has a lot of seeds in the bread itself. I prefer wholegrain because is chewier and got seeds to bite on. Also high fiber helps to to lower cholesterol. Both have lower cabohydrate contain.

Look at the daily calories guide at the back.

 
At 6:44 am, Blogger wHOisBaBy said...

yes, was still sleeping at 2am 3am ... of course! Unlike someone. wonder who?!

 
At 6:44 am, Blogger wHOisBaBy said...

So you wont be having dial up then. i remember you told me that before (when telstar called you that time) they told you the price is almost the same at your ex dialup plan, and now they are changing their program? they cheat you lar?!

 
At 12:54 am, Blogger wHOisBaBy said...

When are you going to update your blog i wonder?!?!

 
At 11:47 am, Blogger wHOisBaBy said...

hmmmm ... still waiting for your update! JY is blogging everyday. He must be having more time on his hand or playing less computer game.

 
At 9:18 am, Blogger wHOisBaBy said...

9/7 today, still no blog ah. but is ok lar, at least i get to talk to you on the phone.

 
At 8:56 am, Blogger wHOisBaBy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:56 am, Blogger wHOisBaBy said...

9/29 - just realize that you didn't blog for three months already. lazy issit?

And i've been the one that care about you bloggin since i was the only one that left you message here all the time.

 
At 8:35 am, Blogger wHOisBaBy said...

12/31 - Wishing you and Eddie a wonderful and Happy New Year. BTW my new blog is at http://familyfriendsnfood.blogspot.com/ ... so if you got time, update my link in your blog lar. thank you.

 
At 10:36 am, Blogger wHOisBaBy said...

Guess wont see u update your blog until mid of this year, which is one year from ur last entry. ha ha ha ha

 
At 10:36 am, Blogger wHOisBaBy said...

above entry dated Feb 17th.

 
At 5:41 am, Blogger wHOisBaBy said...

May 11th 2006 - baby brandon is sleeping ... he sleeping a lot now. may be is the CD i play during his nap. he must have like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home