Gangs of New York
I put that title because it was the latest movie I watched, on dvd. Never have a good idea on what to put on that title. Now I think I'm gonna put the latest movie I watched as the title. Also shows that I'm a movie maniac...hmmm...I wonder what's on the tv now...Summerland. Ish, I missed the 'walking the red carpet' part of the Golden Globe Awards. The Awards itself starts in about 15 minutes.
Since it's on the title, I'm gonna talk about the movie just a little bit. The movie starred Leo DiCaprio, Daniel Day-Lewis and Cameron Diaz. Directed by Martin Scorsese who also directed Leo's latest movie, The Aviator. Gangs of New York is based in the mid-1800s during the civil war. The movie started with a fight scene between the Irish gangs and the Natives gangs (the natives being American-born Anglo-Saxons, not Red Indians). There was an intense migration of the Irish during the period and the Natives hated them. Gangs were formed and protection money was paid to them. There were different fire companies where some were owned by the gangs and firemen from different companies fought each other for their own benefit instead of clearing the fire. There were also two different police department; The Metropolitan Police and The Municipal Police; who released each other's prisoners. The movie also talks a bit about the first draft of volunteers drawn for the civil war. For those who can afford, $300 for a substitute. "A rich man's war and a poor man's fight" as they say. On the day the draft was drawn, the poor started a riot which lasted for four days. Buildings were burnt, thousands of people killed. I also watched the special features which said that the area affected was even worse than that of September 11th. This movie is entertaining and educational at the same time.
Okay, on with today. This morning I was awoken by a telephone call from my sister, Anna. She rang just to ask me about some bank stuff which made me wondered how she knew those stuff. She told me "The bank sent you a letter"... A little surprised, that's when I knew she was back in KL. She's currently living in The States. The last time she went back was more than a year ago, when I just came here to further my studies...in Adelaide. I haven't seen her for quite long now...the last time I think was end of 2001. I so wanted to go back now...so happy back there...everyone's back there...my family and friends...Chinese New Year is coming up too and this year I'm supposed to have an extra angpow (red packet) because one of my cousins got married last December! heheh... Also from my sister, I told Eddie that she's too rich she wanna go back to give angpow...hehehe...she usually give USD!!! hahahha...
Then when Eddie woke up we borrowed a car from Johnny and went to eat Vietnamese noodles on Hamilton road...yummy. We came back, I sent Eddie to work, came back and went online...after I hang the towels. Saw Mer online, wanted to Solitaire Showdown with her but stupid Ben's Monster couldn't work. So just chatted with her until she logged off. I was writing my blog for a while until my line got disconnected all of a sudden. Just about two hours I online. Normally the line lasts for eight hours. So I got frustrated and went to watch the Golden Globe Awards until Eddie came back. Then he went online and I took over the computer from him (which I'm going to pass back to him after this) so here I am...

1 Comments:
Hey, I gave you angpow even though you were not here, also even I wasn't here for last year's CNY, I left a BIG angpow in your drawer! Doink! Oh, stupid one, I cut my hair so short. The hair stylist I told him not too much layer and he trimmed and trimmed and trimmed until so short. I also have bangs now. Try to see if can safe some hair from falling becos my front prat pretty thin now. So I had this stupid hair cut. Hopefully will get long before i go back to LA, or else kena frm Alan Wong.
Post a Comment
<< Home